top of page
  • Makenzie Moman

Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Title IX's Purple Ribbon Campaign in Centennial Mall

Title IX, a federal program through which victims of sexual misconduct can receive guidance and advocacy, is hosting their annual Purple Ribbon Campaign all throughout October in Centennial Mall. The goal of the campaign is to bring awareness, share knowledge, and start conversations about domestic violence. The stories are from Bethany House, a Toledo-area shelter for those escaping domestic violence situations.

For “Empty Place at the Table,” which takes place throughout October, Title IX partners with Residence Life and Bethany House to share stories of those who lost their lives to domestic violence by displaying it at empty tables throughout dining spaces on campus.

Title IX has made it clear they not only focus on reported misconducts, but prevention as well. Keeping a solid presence on campus helps them with that goal.

“When we aren’t silent about things, there’s less room for sexual misconduct to go unaddressed,” Title IX Compliance Manger Brittany Kupresanin said.

Title IX tables outside The Eatery in the Student Union every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Title IX’s Instagram will feature an informational post on domestic violence every day throughout the month of October. Their office is located in Snyder Memorial room 1120.

To report a concern, visit utoledo.edu, scroll to the bottom, and click “report a concern.” Victims choose how their reporting process will affect them and any parties involved. A formal grievance process, including an investigation and hearings, is used to dictate if a Title IX policy has been violated. Informal resolutions, on the other hand, have no disciplinary action taken and therefore will not appear on any disciplinary record. In the case a student does not feel comfortable filing a complaint, Title IX can still provide supportive measures.

Confidential resources (will not share information with Title IX) include YWCA Rape Crisis Center, 1-866-557-7273; Bethany House, 419-727-4948; the University Counseling Center, 419-530-2426; and Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center, 419-251-3268.

2 views

Recent Posts

See All

CPOS Changes Impacting Financial Aid

A recent change to federal financial aid laws requires all courses to be part of a student's declared program of study in order to be funded

The Collegian Logo

The Collegian

The Student Newspaper of The University of Toledo

bottom of page