top of page
  • Spencer Matthews

Interns Organize Summer Camps For Kids In Europe

Rocket Kids, a new internship program housed in the University of Toledo’s Judith Herb College of Education, sent more than 20 college students to U.S. military bases in Europe, where interns ran summer camps for the children of deployed U.S. service men and women.

The program allows students, most of whom were education majors, to implement the activities and skills they had been learning in their classes. Sam Simpson, who spent the summer in Vicenza, Italy, said one of his favorite memories was “building a deep connection with the kids and knowing I left an impression on them.”

Rocket Kids interns were provided with plane tickets, room and board, and a $2,000 stipend to cover food and other necessities. Students covered the cost of uniforms, tuition—$500 for 15 credit hours—an intensive background check, and the cost of CPR and First Aid training.

When the Rocket Kids interns weren’t at summer camp, they were able to explore the surrounding areas to their heart’s content. Popular destinations included Paris, Amsterdam, and Berlin.

Rocket Kids is hoping to increase its number of interns threefold for the summer of 2024. Interested students should visit utoledo.edu/studentaffairs/rocketkids/ for more information or to fill out the interest form.

7 views

Recent Posts

See All

CPOS Changes Impacting Financial Aid

A recent change to federal financial aid laws requires all courses to be part of a student's declared program of study in order to be funded

The Collegian Logo

The Collegian

The Student Newspaper of The University of Toledo

bottom of page